Next in my journey of finding 50 recipes using tofu as a substitute for meat or dairy is this simple fried rice dish. Use whatever veggies you have on hand whether they are fresh or frozen. It is recommended to use brown rice instead of white rice, but it is your choice.
Fried rice and any 1 pan Chinese dish are my favorite recipes to make because they are simple and I don’t have to worry about timing other foods to be done at the same time. I find 1 pot meals fill me up more than separately cooked foods too.
#49 Tofu Fried Rice
What you need:
1 nonstick skillet or wok
2 teaspoons olive or canola oil (your preference here)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (roasted red bell pepper works well too)
1 cup sliced mushrooms – I use the stems too
2 garlic cloves, chopped (or use 1 t. minced garlic)
1 onion, chopped or diced
3 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup uncooked rice = 3 cups cooked)
1 cup silken extra firm tofu, chopped in 1/2-inch cubes (you may also fry these in olive oil before adding to the dish)
1 bag of your choice of frozen mixed or stir fry vegetables*
Low sodium soy or fish sauce
White pepper (or your choice of herbs)
1. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
2. Add red bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic until nearly tender, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups cooked brown rice; stir fry about 3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add frozen veggie mix; stir fry until defrosted.
5. Add soy or fish sauce, pepper and herbs, if used. Stir fry about 2 minutes.
6. Add tofu cubes, and gently stir until tofu is warm.
Adjust seasonings and soy/fish sauce to taste.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
More tofu recipes: